Nail art has come a long way in the last decade. There are many nail shapes and designs to choose from. Whether you prefer short or long nails, round or square, simple or elegant, there is no limit when it comes to nail design!
This article focuses on almond nails. Learn about this popular nail shape as well as how to care for almond-shaped nails. Read on to find out some of the trendiest designs for the coming season!
What Are Almond Nails?
Almond nails were quite trendy for a while but fell out of style for a time. Now they are one of the hottest nail shapes.
In a nutshell, almond-shaped nails are those that resemble the shape of an almond, hence the name. They have a rounded base with a smooth point but are tapered at the sides, thus resembling an actual almond.
This nail shape is ideal for those who want to elongate their fingers, thus making them appear slim and long. Almond-style nails suit any length and are the perfect canvas for a wide variety of nail designs.
DIY Almond Nails
Use this step-by-step guide to achieve almond-shaped nails:
Use a nail file to file your natural nails to the length of your choice. Only file in one direction, as not doing so will damage your nail bed as well as your nails.
Using your nail file, carefully file your nail into an almond shape. Create a slight curve.
Smooth out any ridges or rough edges on your natural nails using a buffer to achieve an even, polished effect.
Using your nail file, carefully taper the tip of your natural nails. Use a downward motion going toward the nail tip to prevent damaging your natural nail. This helps achieve the almond shape.
Buffer your nails, smoothing the tip. This helps create a flawless flow between your nail bed and the tip of your nail.
Wash and dry your hands. Apply a base coat and then paint as desired!
If you don’t feel comfortable doing almond-shaped nails on your own, visit your favorite nail salon. This is the best advice for those who prefer acrylic or gel nails over natural nails.
Now read on for tips on how to care for almond-style nails:
How To Care For Almond Nails
- Hydrate your nails and cuticles daily. If your nails become dry, they chip and break more easily. Use cuticle oil on your cuticles to keep them hydrated. Apply a quality hand cream to protect your hands and nails. Do this at least once daily. It’s always a good idea to carry hand lotion with you to use after washing your hands.
- Stay away from acetone nail polish remover. This type of polish will damage your nails. Use only non-acetone nail polish removers to protect your nails.
- Avoid harsh chemicals. Stay away from any harsh chemicals or household cleaners. Wear gloves when using any chemicals and even when washing dishes. This protects your nails from damage and breakage.
- Maintain a healthy diet: Stick to a diet that is high in minerals and vitamins. A healthy diet rich in vegetables, lean protein, and fruit helps maintain healthy nails and hair. You can also take supplements to promote healthy nail and hair growth.
- File and trim your almond nails as needed. In order to maintain the perfect almond shape, trim and file your nails every two or three weeks. Invest in a quality nail file and buffer. Always file in the same direction to prevent damaging your natural nails.
- Do not bite your nails. Nail-biting or picking are common symptoms of stress and anxiety. Resist the temptation to pick at or bite your nails. This is bad for your skin as well as your nails and cuticles.
- Use a base coat and a top coat to protect your nails. Even though it adds some time to your nail routine, both a base coat and a top coat are crucial to protecting your almond-shaped nails.
Now that you know more about almond nails, check out some of the trendiest looks for this nail shape below!